Monday, October 24, 2005

Thought of the Day

"Is it an alarm or a calling that gets you out of bed in the morning?"

Borrowed this question from the blog of a friend.

I'm still chewing on it.

I guess the first words uttered as one awakes answers this question.
I've been waking up to "Oh no-s!" quite a bit. They surface in different forms on different mornings. Sometimes, it's oh-no-groan. Sometimes, oh-no-sighs. On bad days, it's oh-no-panic-kan-cheong-spider-i'm-going-to-be-late.

I guess mornings are very telling. When i say i'm not a morning person, it means i'm not around at all in the mornings.
I'm not there.
I may be here and there but clearly unaware.

My mum noticed that i jumped out of my bed whenever my alarm goes some years back. I literally snap or pop up from my sleep, like a chinese vampire rising at full moon smelling fresh blood. The 2 years in NS was responsible for this trauma. When you close your eyes at 5am and are expected to fall in at 6am to draw weapons, such occurences tend to develop in your sleeping routines.

The stark difference was magnified by my 2 slothful sisters who would manja my mum as she tries to coax them out of bed. I suspect my mum enjoys waking them up. I give her no such pleasure though..sometimes, i scare her quite a bit when i pop up as she pops in to my room.

I don't pop up anymore. There's now more to weigh me down on the bed. Check out my SAF ID and you'll know what i'm talking about. That ID(11b) never fails to amaze anyone.

During NS days, i didn't pop up because of an alarm or calling. It was just plain fear that was devouring the entire dream concocted while the brain was at rest. And as that last reel of dreams runs out, the horrific realisation of reality, time, place and space crashes into the brain, sending millions of piercing neurons haywire.

Hence the pop.

I think it's the calling, but i usually only hear the alarm.

I need to start digging.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home