Wednesday, November 22, 2006

of soap, scrubbing and a Dish Washer

I've been wanting to post this for a long time but the silly network has been down.
So here's something that suddenly lit up in my brain one afternoon in the kitchen.
I have work duties everyday from 1330 to 1530 in the kitchen, clearing lunch, washing dishes, pots and pan and many, many more stuff. So the primary preoccupation of my mind on an average day is on stuff like grating carrots, slicing cucumbers, washing pots and dishes

Our Modus Operandi for dish washing(how to wash dishes in 4 steps):

1.Scrub off dirt from dishes
2.Rinse with clear water
3.Put into Dish Washer(see photo)
4.Remove from DW and towel dry


For almost a week, i was faithfully scrubbing away in front of the sink, throwing the spaghetti sauce stained dishes into a nice frothy pool of soapy water.
It is hard work.



These are the 2 sinks..1 with soap and the other with clear water
Hot water is used because it helps remove stains and brings on the perspiration.
The dishes come in fast.
Endless streams of stacked up porcelain mechanically moved nearer to me by the lunch crew leader when she suspects i'm getting carried away in my conversations
So in between talking about the morning lectures and teaching my german friend Mandarin, i scrub away, my hands deep in soapy water.
Silently, i was proud of my gleaming dishes as they emerge from the sink, always giving a few finishing touches with my trusty sponge

then the truth came

one day,

the kitchen leader came by

"hey, you can't use soap! just wipe off the dirt with hot water!"

"but!! soap helps the dirt to come off...!"

"nah..the washer will do that

and besides, the soap will get in the way of the chemicals in the DW"

no one praised my gleaming dishes.
i just looked like a fool in front of the entire crew all my hard work for nothing
my mum's washing genes are in me
she(nurse) sterilizes surgery tools in the hospital
and my water bottle at home
i grew up believing that only an inordinate amount of soap will kill baterial
before they kill me
i love my mum but she has to love the water bills

"...the washer will do that"

Isn't that so us?
we scrub away to present ourselves, clean and gleaming white
only to be exposed later

"we work hard
get the job done
we can do it
it's your life, fight for it
no one else will do it for you..."

if only you knew

if only you asked

"...the Washer will do that"

I clear more dishes per min now

and i'm much happier

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home